Congo’s Ebola outbreak now 2nd largest in history, WHO says

Congo's Ebola outbreak now 2nd largest in history WHO says

Ebola outbreak kills 19 under one week in DR Congo

Al Jazeera reported that "attacks by rebel groups and open hostility by some wary locals have posed serious challenges to health workers".

The epidemic in a volatile part of Democratic Republic of Congo is now only surpassed by the 2013-2016 outbreak in West Africa, where more than 28,000 cases where confirmed, and is bigger than an outbreak in 2000 in Uganda involving 425 cases.

In the Journal of the American Medical Association, one group stated, as quoted in the report, that the US government weeks ago ordered all Centers for Disease Control and Prevention personnel, considered "some of the world's most experienced outbreak experts", from Congo's outbreak zone because of security concerns.

A separate statement in the New England Journal of Medicine said: "Given the worsening of the outbreak, we believe it's essential that these security concerns be addressed and that CDC staff return to the field".

Previously, the ReEBOV Antigen Rapid Test Kit was eligible for procurement to Ebola-affected countries, under the WHO Emergency Assessment. The CDC supports the expertise of the State Department and Department of Defense "in determining locations where it is safe to position our staff".

'These trials will contribute to building that knowledge, while we continue to respond on every front to bring the current outbreak to an end'. Teams with the World Health Organisation and DRC's health ministry venture out on virus containment missions accompanied by United Nations peacekeepers or other armed security in areas where gunfire echoes daily.

Salama this month predicted that the outbreak in northeastern Congo will last at least another six months before it can be contained. That's not a welcome thought to neighboring Uganda and Rwanda. The World Health Organization said the country has launched the first-ever multidrug clinical trial for potential Ebola treatments. The conflict slows healthcare workers' attempts to fight the virus.

The International Rescue Committee (IRC) stated this in a statement released on Thursday, November 29, 2018.

This Ebola outbreak is like no other, as health workers compare the region to a war zone.

Explaining the World Health Organization-backed initiative, WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said "randomised control trial" in DR Congo was a "giant step" that would "bring clarity about what works best, and save many lives in years to come". The U.S. sent thousands of responders to West Africa from the CDC and other government agencies, including the military.

'Our country is struck with Ebola outbreaks too often, which also means we have unique expertise in combatting it, ' said DRC's minister of health Dr Oly Ilunga Kalenga.

Latest News