Experts stunned by shark attacks

Cid Harbour at Whitsunday Islands where a man in his 30s was attacked by a shark

Cid Harbour at Whitsunday Islands where a man in his 30s was attacked by a shark

Queensland won't reintroduce drumlines to the Whitsundays area despite a third shark attack in two months.

Shark control equipment had been temporarily placed in Cid Harbour following the first two attacks but was removed on September 27 after the potentially unsafe sharks were removed.

Friends and rescue crews at the scene tried to resuscitate the man until he was airlifted to nearby Mackay Base Hospital, but he succumbed to his injuries.

The attack on Monday evening happened in the same waters where two tourists were mauled in separate attacks within 24 hours in September.

Australia has seen a total of 17 shark attacks this year, killing one and leaving 16 injured.

James Cook University shark researcher Professor Colin Simpfendorfer said it was hard to understand why the attacks have happened because there has been little research on shark behaviour in the Whitsundays.

A man has died after being mauled by a shark in Queensland's Whitsundays.

It comes after Whitsundays MP Jason Costigan (LNP) called for drumlines to be immediately and permanently installed in Cid Harbour.

Both swimmers were pulled from the water by French tourists on another boat, who were the first to respond to the incident.

"It was one of the more hard ones for everyone involved".

The species of shark has not yet been determined.

"We have to make an assumption it was a tiger given the amount of tigers they caught in Cid Harbour following the last attack", Mr Long said.

The victims were 12-year-old Melbourne girl Hannah Papps, who suffered a "significant leg injury" during the attack, and Tasmanian tourist 46-year-old Justine Barwick, who suffered severe injuries to her right thigh and had to undergo reconstructive surgery.

The pre-teen lost her leg in the attack, which led to a shark bait operation, in which six sharks were hooked and killed within a week.

"We are talking about a very vast area and certainly I would hate that the message got out there that it was safe to swim in the Whitsundays when we can't guarantee their safety", she said.

Fisheries Minister Mark Furner said in the statement that the harbor is a popular site to moor boats and the disposal of food scraps could attract sharks.

Tourism Minister Kate Jones today said local advice was that drum lines were not wanted.

Latest News