Texas surf resort tested after 'brain-eating amoeba' death

The multi-discipline surfer Kai Lenny models the inflatable back carrot

The multi-discipline surfer Kai Lenny models the inflatable back carrot

A 29-year-old man from New Jersey who recently visited a Texas surf resort has died after falling ill with what's described as a "brain-eating amoeba".

Stabile was mowing his lawn on September 16, when he experienced a severe headache and went to lie down, family friend Stephanie Papastephanou wrote on GoFundMe.

Only a handful of people are known to have survived after contracting the brain-eating amoeba and one of those cases happened in Broward County.

Stabile, known as "Fab", was a keen outdoors lover who had a passion for fishing, surfing and snowboarding, his obituary in the Press of Atlantic City said.

CDC spokesman Kelly Craine told KBTX that her organization was 'currently investigating to find the source'.

Naegleria fowleri is commonly referred to as the "brain-eating amoeba". Normally, people are infected when contaminated water enters through their nose, according to the agency.

"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time", the owner of BSR Cable Park, Stuart Parsons, told the Waco Tribune-Herald. Symptoms of the infection generally start within a few days of exposure, with death occurring about five days later, according to the CDC.

The amoeba is typically found in fresh water, especially warmer water such as lakes, rivers and hot springs. Once it reaches the brain it causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), which is often fatal.

The surf resort has closed pending the test results from the CDC, he said.

His family is asking for donations to the Swim Above Amoeba Awareness Foundation in his memory. As the diseases continues to attack the body it can lead to a stiff neck, confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations.

The owner of the BSR Surf Resort, Stuart Parsons said that "the BSR Surf Resort values the safety of our guests from Texas and all over the United States and we strive to provide the safest environment for our patrons to enjoy all of our facilities". Swallowing water contaminated by the amoeba can not cause the infection.

Latest News