Strawberries Have Now Been Recalled In South Australia

Association

Association

ANOTHER case of needles in strawberries has come to light after a woman bought punnets from Wingham Coles in New South Wales.

While the contamination has only impacted two brands, Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeanette Young advised anyone who bought strawberries in Queensland, New South Wales or Victoria since early last week to get rid of them if they were anxious and especially if they were not sure what brand they were.

The Queensland Government is offering a $100,000 reward for information which leads to the arrest of whoever is putting needles inside supermarket strawberries.

"I bit straight in - knee-jerk reaction was to swallow - and yeah it wasn't a pleasant surprise", the 21-year-old told Nine Network.

Contaminated strawberries were also found in Yarram and Ballarat, in Victoria, prompting urgent recalls of the two brands in Queensland, NSW and Victoria.

Back in New Zealand, Foodstuff external relations manager Sue Hamilton says ahead of the New Zealand strawberry season kicking off, New World, PaK'n'Save and Four Square stores are stocking some Australian strawberries.

'If you are in doubt, just throw them out'.

She said that with the affected products having been taken off the shelves, the public can now feel safe eating strawberries, adding that the incidents.

"We have withdrawn Berry Obsession and Berry Licious branded strawberries from sale while this incident is being investigated with our suppliers".

Police and health authorities are warning people to cut up strawberries before consuming them after sewing needles were found in punnets of the fruit from a Queensland grower.

It came as a NSW mother said she found more sabotaged strawberries, in the first instance for that state following the recent scares in Queensland.

The strawberries believed to have contained the needle that injured Hoani Hearne was reportedly sold at a supermarket in Brisbane.

One Queensland man reportedly swallowed half a needle.

Acting Detective Chief Superintendent Lawrence said officers were looking into unconfirmed reports of contamination involving other strawberry brands.

Police investigations are ongoing.

The association has previously said it believes a disgruntled former farm worker may be responsible, but police say they are investigating all aspects of the strawberry transit process.

Queensland Strawberry Growers industry development officer Jennifer Rowling told Fairfax on Wednesday the industry was reeling this week.

Health officials have urged people purchasing the fruit to be cautious.

Health authorities are urging people to cut up strawberries to make sure they are safe to eat and police want anyone who finds a needle to contact them.

"[Woolworths] takes food safety very seriously", a spokesperson for Woolworths said.

Latest News