Leroy Sane breaks silence on being dropped from Germany's World Cup squad

Leroy Sane

Leroy Sane started Saturday's friendly defeat by Austria

Manchester City star Leroy Sane has reacted to his omission from the Germany 23-man World Cup squad.

Manchester City attacker Leroy Sane has been left out of Germany's 23-man squad for the 2018 World Cup.

The surprise was due to the 22-year-old's impressive club season, having contributed 14 goals and 17 assists to City's record-breaking campaign that yielded the English Premier League and Carabao Cup double.

"There are certainly better days in the life of a national coach than when you must send four great players home who would have deserved to be at a World Cup", Loew said at the team's training camp in South Tyrol, Italy.

"Germany's Low puts himself under massive pressure with this decision", he wrote on Twitter.

Nevertheless, it remains odd that a player who so often lit up the Premier League last season will not feature in Russian Federation. "Go get that title".

His global form, however, is much poorer - he's only provided one assist and is yet to score following 12 appearances with the national side. The problem, more than any the lack of goals, is that his overall performances have been disappointing, particularly in the recent games with Spain, Brazil and, on Saturday, Austria. "If it was a 100m race, it would have been a photo finish".

Low is most likely to use the 4-2-3-1 which Germany has been using for a long time.

The defending champions and perennial dark horses had both named provisional squads in recent weeks, but made the card calls and announced their final panels ahead of Tuesday's Federation Internationale de Football Association deadline.

The 'keeper said his careful reintroduction had been a deliberate ploy - he didn't play a single match for Bayern before joining up with the national squad.

Latest News